We would like to invite you to a scent detection course addressed to motivated dog teams.
The course consists of 5 weekend meetings covering foundations of scent detection (both
theory and practice). There will be an online tutoring in between the sessions designed for
ongoing problem solving and insight into the teams’ work.
Graduates of our detection courses can also take part in this course as part of their continuing education.
Practical exercises will be adapted to each participant's level, no matter if they are beginners, advanced or continuing learners.
The course is aimed at motivated teams willing to deepen their practical and theoretical knowledge of scent detection and participants ready to devote their time to work and practice between course sessions.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS?
- motivated and willing dog (motivated for a toy or food treats) with an aptitude for work
- fundamental knowledge of how to work with a dog using positive reinforcement
- high level of motivation to work between sessions and to complete assigned exercises and homework
- recording videos of participant’s own work and exchange experiences on an online platform (telephone quality will be sufficient)
- possibility to participate in online tutoring (sharing experience with other participants and direct communication with the instructor)
- ability to work in a group (handlers will work in pairs to help each other in trainings)
Additional skills (helpful but not required)
- knowledge of dogs learning theory
- training skills in dog training
- experience in scent detection
SCOPE OF THE COURSE:
- Odour theory (lecture)
- Passive indication (lecture and practice)
- Training planning and keeping training records (lecture and practice)
- Setting and planning your own goals (practice)
- Systematics of detection (theory and practice)
- Detection protocols (theory and practice)
- Detection patterns, line ups (practice)
- Indoor, outdoor and vehicle detection (practice)
- Handler’s work (practice)
- Introducing new scents (practice)
More advanced topics, such as searching people, blind searches, challenges, directionals,
are also provided for continuing students.
Training sessions assume working on a training scent introduced during the training (a Kong scent), unless a handler requests to work on another scent already known to a dog.
During the course it will be possible to introduce an additional scent to a dog while learning to imprint new scents.
W kursie wykorzystane zostaną materiały wideo, foto oraz prezentacje multimedialne. Kurs obejmuje zajęcia teoretyczne oraz praktyczne z własnymi psami.
For more information and the upcoming course starting dates, please contact us via the application form.